Developmental leave is defined as released time without salary for either one semester or one school year. It may be granted by the Board for travel, study, or other endeavors that clearly contribute to improved professional competence.
Requesting Developmental Leave:
- Developmental Leave is available to qualified college employees as defined by the
Board Policy Manual, sections DEC. Request should occur 90 days before the beginning of the semester or academic year for which the leave is requested.
- Request for Developmental Leave is submitted in writing by an employee to his/her supervisor in memorandum form.
- The supervisor will submit a written recommendation along with the original written request to the appropriate Vice President. The supervisor will send copies of the request and recommendation to the campus Human Resources office.
- The Vice President will submit his/her recommendation along with the supporting documentation to the President’s office for review and approval.
- If the request for Developmental Leave is approved by the President, he/she will forward the recommendation along with the original request to the Board for approval at its earliest meeting thereafter if necessary. A copy of the Board submission is also forwarded to Human Resources.
- Upon Board or Presidential approval, Human Resources will notify the applicant and make an appointment to discuss benefits and leave expiration stipulations.