At Brookhaven College, a public, open-door, two-year institution dedicated to student success, we provide quality educational programs by offering a broad range of programs, learning opportunities and experiences. We prepare our students to value the individuals and organizations within our diverse community and to face the challenges as responsible and productive members of society. We achieve our mission through our goals and strategic directions.
The goals and purposes of Texas public community colleges are as set forth in Education Code 130.003, as follows.
- The purpose of each public community college shall be to provide:
- Technical programs up to two years in length leading to associate degrees or certificates;
- Vocational programs leading directly to employment in semi-skilled and skilled occupations;
- Freshman and sophomore courses in arts and sciences;
- Continuing adult education programs for occupational or cultural upgrading;
- Compensatory education programs designed to fulfill the commitment of an admissions policy allowing the enrollment of disadvantaged students;
- A continuing program of counseling and guidance designed to assist students in achieving their individual educational goals;
- Workforce development programs designed to meet local and statewide needs;
- Adult literacy and other basic skills programs for adults; and
- Such other purposes as may be prescribed by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board or local governing boards in the best interest of postsecondary education in Texas.
Brookhaven College 2018: Strategic Goals and Values
- Maximize student success for all students
- Increase participation in higher education within our service area
- Improve student learning
- Participate in and lead initiatives that advance student success
- Recruit, retain, support and develop successful employees
- Provide a diverse and strategic array of professional development opportunities for our
- Compose and implement employment policies, procedures and pathways which facilitate
- Optimize institutional effectiveness and commit to sustainability
- Promote efficiency and effectiveness of human, capital and fiscal resources
- Design an organizational structure with the capacity to support and carry out the strategic
goals of Brookhaven College 2018
- Promote sustainable practices with positive impacts on learning and social,
environmental and economic vitality
- Cultivate mutually beneficial college/community partnerships and relationships
- Increase workforce readiness to enhance the economy and competitive advantage of
North Texas and beyond
- Identify and develop dynamic partnerships in support of our mission, which encourage
cooperation between the college and public and private businesses, other education
providers, government agencies, and the citizens of our community
- Demonstrate individual and institutional commitment to serve the community through
sound and transparent policies and practices
As members of the Brookhaven College community, we hold the following values:
Brookhaven College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award the associate's degree. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Brookhaven College.
The three-fold purpose for publishing the Commission's address and contact numbers is to enable interested constituents (1) to learn about the accreditation status of Brookhaven College, (2) to file a third-party comment at the time of Brookhaven College's decennial review, or (3) to file a complaint against Brookhaven College for alleged non-compliance with a standard or requirement.
Normal inquiries about Brookhaven College, such as admission requirements, financial aid, educational programs, etc., should be addressed directly to Brookhaven College and not to the Commission's office.
El Brookhaven College está acreditado por la Comisión de Colleges de la Asociación de Colleges y Escuelas del Sur para otorgar el grado de asociado. Contáctese con la Comisión de Colleges en 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097 o llame al 404-679-4501 para preguntas sobre la acreditación del Brookhaven College.
Brookhaven College is recognized and sanctioned by the Coordinating Board of the Texas Higher Education Agency.