To participate in Brookhaven College Distance Learning courses, there are a few minimum standards in regards to computer competency and technical requirements.
The college's online course management system, eCampus, requires a computer capable of running Internet Explorer 7 or higher or Firefox 3 or higher. The more current the hardware and software, the better. Also, each class may have additional hardware and software requirements. These specifications are recommended to work with eCampus:
- PC (Windows XP, Vista)
- Mac (10.3, 10.4, 10.5)
- 128 MB of RAM
- 2 GB of free disk space
- Sound card with speakers (for courses with multimedia)
- Ethernet or Wireless network card (for high-speed Internet connection) or 56K modem (for dial-up Internet connection)
- T1, DSL, Cable, or Satellite high-speed connection (56K dial-up will work, but the online course system will run slowly)
- **Java JRE plugin (very important so that everything in the system works properly!)
- Microsoft Office Viewers and File Converters (for viewing and printing Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Visio files)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (for viewing and printing PDF files)
- RealPlayer (for viewing streaming video or listening to streaming audio clips)
- QuickTime (for viewing QuickTime video)
- Flash Player (for viewing animations or using interactive content)
- Shockwave Player (for viewing animations or using interactive content)
- Windows Media Player (for viewing streaming video or listening to streaming audio clips)
**Get Java (very important!)
to download Java.
2.Follow the instructions on the Java Downloads site.
3.When installing Java, follow the prompts to install the Typical Java installation. Be patient during the install process!
4.Restart your computer to complete the installation process.
NOTE: If you are using a Macintosh, click here
to download Java for your Mac OS version.