Brookhaven College

Home  |  Career Development Center  |  Continuing Education  |  Current Students  |  Class Schedules  |  Distance Learning = SAVE GAS!  |  eCampus  |  eConnect  |  Employees / News  |  Español  |  Future Students  |  Head Start Center  |  International Students  |  Students 50+   |  Transfer101  |  Workforce Training

A-Z Index:  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

Faculty Handbook

A. Classroom Procedures

1. Attendance Procedures and Certification

Faculty members are responsible for describing the attendance policy and procedures to all students enrolled in their classes and including this information in the course syllabus. Faculty members are responsible for certifying all of their credit classes through eConnect. Certification must be based upon the eConnect roster. The division office will provide a list of certification dates and directions for accessing eConnect prior to the beginning of the semester.

2. Class Action Notice

Class Action Notices are issued by the registrar and sent via email. They are issued for a number of reasons, all of which affect the class roll. The student may have a name change, may transfer (lateral) from one section of a course into another, or may drop the course entirely. In some cases, the registrar initiates the drop. In cases of a drop, the student's name will have a “W” grade on the final grade roll for the semester. At any time during the semester, updated class rolls can be accessed online through the eConnect system.

3. Dropping and Adding a Course

  1. Lateral Changes

    Lateral changes provide students the opportunity to change course sections after the registration period. Lateral changes are initiated, for example, because of scheduling conflicts. Lateral Change forms are available in each division office. Instructors are not required to accept a student who requests transfer into their classes if they don't have room or if the transfer would be, in some way, disruptive to the class.
  2. Dropping a Class

    Students are responsible for dropping themselves from a course at the Advising Center prior to the published drop date. Instructors are not responsible for dropping a student, even for non-attendance. If an instructor believes a student should be dropped after the drop date, the situation must be discussed with the division dean and the appropriate form should be completed.

    Effective 2007, section 51.907 of the Texas Education Code applies to students who enroll in a Texas public institution of higher education for the first time in fall 2007 or later. Based on this law, DCCCD or any other Texas public institution of higher education may not permit students to drop more than six courses during their entire undergraduate career. Visit the Brookhaven College Catalog to review the full policy and exceptions.

  3. Reinstatement

    Students who desire to be put back into courses they have dropped must complete a Reinstatement form. Reinstatement forms are available in each division office. Students should complete the student section of the form and present it to the instructor. If the instructor approves the request, the form is submitted to the division chair or dean.

4. Field Trips

Guidelines and forms for field trips are available from division offices. Forms and all support documentation must be completed and submitted 13 weeks prior to the trip.

5. Final Examination

Final examinations for all courses are to be given on the assigned date during exam week. No final exams are to be given on the last day of class.

6. Grades

  1. Grade Assessment

    Students must be informed in the syllabus of the manner in which grades are determined. Grading should be as objective and as quantitative as possible. A student should be able to determine current grade standing at any time based on the grading scheme. Final grades are reported for each student, for every course taken, according to the following system.

    Grade Grade Point Value Grade Grade Point Value
    A 4 I not computed
    B 3 W not computed
    C 2 WX not computed
    D 1 E not computed
    F 0
  2. The “F” or “N” Grade

    At the end of the semester, when the faculty member has determined that a student has failed the course, the faculty member will need to determine whether to give the student an “F” or “N” based \ on the student's attendance or participation after the official drop date. If the student does not 1) submit or complete an assignment after the official drop date or 2) attend at least one class after the official drop date, then the faculty member needs to record the grade as “N.” The student will not see the “N” but rather an “F” in his/her grades in eConnect and on a transcript. The “N” will show up only in financial aid records.

  3. Incomplete Grades

    A grade of “I” (for incomplete) may be given when an unforeseen emergency prevents students from completing the work in a course. If the work is not completed after 90 days, the “I” is converted to a performance grade. An Incomplete Contract is used to assign an “I” grade and states the requirements for the satisfactory completion of the course. In general, “I” grades are used for students who have substantially completed the course but might lack one or two assignments. The Incomplete Contract must be agreed upon and signed by the instructor, the student and the division dean and submitted with the final grade report.

  4. W Grades

    When students drop a class or withdraw from the college before the semester deadline, students will receive a “W” (Withdraw) in each class dropped. The deadline for receiving a “W” is indicated on the academic calenda. If students stop attending and do not withdraw, they should receive a performance grade, usually a grade of “F.”

  5. WX Grades

    In certain cases, students who do not complete course requirements by the end of the semester may receive a “WX” grade. This grade is given when the instructor determines that reasonable progress has been made and when the students can re-enroll for course completion prior to the certification date in the next regular semester. The “WX” grade requires that the student re-enroll in the next regular semester and complete the course requirements. If the student does not complete the course requirements, the “WX” is converted to a performance grade, usually a grade of “F.” The “WX” is set up with a contract that is available from the division office or from the Admissions Office.

  6. E Grades

    In a developmental studies course, an “E” grade may be given when an instructor wishes to indicate that a student has made progress. An “E” grade is non-punitive and is not computed in the student's grade point average. The “E” grade provides more flexibility for re-enrollment, particularly for students who do not achieve a C-level grade in a course. An “E” grade indicates a student participated in a course according to TSI guidelines, but was unable to do C-level or passing work that would qualify for enrollment in transfer-level courses. The “E” grade indicates below college skill level work, but shows that the student attended the class and attempted to do the work in the course. Students on federal financial aid should check with the Financial Aid Office concerning “E” grades and any impact they might have on benefits.

  7. Grade Change

    Grade changes may be made only by the instructor of record for that course. Grade changes will not be considered later than the end of the term following the term in which the grade was awarded. Grade change forms are available in each division office. The completed form is approved by the division chair or dean and is sent to the Admissions Office.

  8. Posting Grades

    Posting student grades is permissible as long as the identity of all individual students is confidential. Use of a social security number, student I.D. number or driver license number is not permitted. Instructors need an individual student's permission in order to post that student's grade.

7. Grade Roll Procedures

Instructors receive two printed versions of the class roll. All current class rolls can be accessed at any time through the eConnect system.

The first class roll is the Temporary Roll (the yellow roll). Instructors should receive this roll before the first day of class. It will probably be incomplete because of students who register late. The eConnect roster will contain the current roll.

Several weeks into the semester, instructors will receive the Permanent Roll (the blue roll). The Permanent Roll is the official record of the class and student grades, and therefore it is important that the roll be kept clearly and accurately. It should be obvious to a third party, such as an auditor, exactly how students’ grades were determined.

Final grades must be posted to eConnect and the Permanent Roll submitted to the division office within three business days (excluding Sundays and holidays) before or after the end date of the class.

Students who have dropped a course will have a pre-printed “W” following their names on the eConnect roll. If no “W” appears next to names of students the instructor believes have dropped the class, contact the division office or the Admissions Office for clarification.

8. Course Syllabus

Faculty members are responsible for the preparation of the syllabus for all courses taught. Sample syllabus formats are available in the division office and sample Core subject and Technical/Occupational subject samples are here as well. A reviewed and updated addendum listing college and district policies can be found online. All course syllabi must be available electronically on the college website. The following items must be included in syllabi.

A.  Course Information

  1. course title and number
  2. catalog description
  3. course prerequisite(s) (if applicable)
  4. student learning outcomes
  5. core objectives/program objectives/SCANS (if applicable)
  6. course materials, including required or recommended reading (if applicable) – HB 2504 (C)
  7. instructor contact information (no email formats are permitted)
  8. instructor availability (posted office hours, or a statement about how to schedule a meeting)
  9. a general description of the subject matter of each lecture or discussion – HB 2504 (D)
  10. attendance/participation expectations
  11. method for determining final grade, including each major assignment and/or examination – HB 2504 (B)
  12. course specific academic dishonesty policy (if applicable)
  13. use of Testing Center (if applicable)
  14. safety policies and procedures (if applicable)
  15. use of equipment, facilities and resources (if applicable)
  16. drop/withdrawal date
  17. a general statement indicating that an instructor has the right to add to, delete or revise segments of the course or syllabus

B.   Institutional Policies - Instructors can include the pdf or the link to the pdf for Fall 2014
  1. drop/withdrawal policies and procedures
  2. the approved college statement concerning the state's six-drop policy
  3. academic dishonesty policy with a link to the Student Code of Conduct
  4. information about the Americans with Disabilities Act
  5. information about student absences due to religious holiday observance
  6. financial aid statement
  7. information about repeating the course
  8. information about how students receive their final grades
  9. FERPA statement

NOTE: Texas House Bill No. 2504 requires a syllabus that:

  1. satisfies any standards adopted by the institution;
  2. provides a brief description of each major course requirement, including each major assignment and examination;
  3. lists any required or recommended reading; and
  4. provides a general description of the subject matter of each lecture or discussion;

9. External Funding for Projects

If a faculty member wishes to propose a new program or project that can't be budgeted by the division, the possibility of obtaining external funding can be discussed with the Office of Resource Development. Full or partial release time for new assignments under a grant project might be an option.

10. Curriculum Development and Revision

The curriculum revision process begins with the district discipline/program faculty committees and involves campus and district personnel. District discipline/program committees meet to identify and propose curriculum changes early in the fall semester. Campus faculty, division deans, Workforce and Continuing Education deans, vice presidents of instruction, and college curriculum committees conduct a review of the proposed changes. Approval of all proposed curriculum changes is finalized during the spring semester.

11. Reserving a Campus Facility

The campus room coordinator monitors and schedules classrooms and conference rooms. Email BHC Room in your GroupWise email to reserve a room. Meeting rooms in the Ellison Miles Geotechnology Institute, EMGI, are managed by that facility, but requests must be submitted through BHC Room. The School of the Arts manages the performance hall. The Physical Education Department manages athletic facilities.

12. Equipment

  1. Off-campus Use of College Equipment

    College equipment is not to be removed from the campus for personal use by faculty or staff. Instructional materials and equipment may be taken off campus for instructional purposes after an application form has been submitted to the division dean and/or supervisor for approval. Application forms are available from the Business Office. A copy must be given to the campus police. The equipment must be returned immediately following its use. Any equipment that is lost or stolen is to be reported on the Lost/Stolen Property Report form to the campus police.
  2. Personal Use of College Supplies

    Personal use of college supplies and equipment is not allowed.

13. Emergencies

For emergencies, contact the College Police from a campus phone at 911. From an off-campus location call 972-860-4290. Coverage is available 24 hours a day. Emergency phones are available at a number of locations throughout the campus: red emergency phones are inside campus buildings and outdoor emergency phones are mounted on tall white posts throughout the campus parking lots and grounds.

Additional help:

Reporting an Emergency

The police can respond more efficiently when complete information is provided. To report an emergency situation, do not hang up until the following information has been clearly reported:

14. Inclement Weather/Evacuation

The college's website will post closing notices, and local radio and television stations will be notified. Inclement weather hot line for employees is available from 5:45 a.m. to 6:15 a.m. Employees should call 972-860-4100; students should call 972-860-4200.

Buildings designated as tornado shelters are marked at each entrance. In the event of an emergency evacuation, instructors are responsible for moving students out of the buildings quickly and efficiently to the locations specified during the drills and in the Emergency Operations Plan. Charts in each classroom contain all emergency procedures.

15. Parking Stickers

Faculty members must have a parking sticker to use designated parking spaces. Parking stickers may be obtained from the College Police, located in Building B, either at the beginning of the fall semester or upon employment. Parking is not allowed on road shoulders.

16. Office Security

Faculty members should keep their office doors locked when not in the office and should not store valuables overnight.

17. Grievance

The DCCCD has a grievance procedure for faculty. Contact the campus Human Resources Office for more information. The Board Policy Manual, section DGBA, also contains information.

B. Copyright

What follows is reprinted from the United States Code, Title 17.

See Operational Memorandum VII-J about specifics, which include guidelines about length restrictions.

1. Fair Use

“ … the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.”

2. Copyright Guidelines for Classroom Use

  1. Single copying for teachers

    “A single copy may be made of any of the following by or for a teacher at his or her individual request for his or her scholarly research or use in teaching or preparation to teach a class:

    1. a chapter from a book;
    2. an article from a periodical or newspaper;
    3. a short story, short essay or short poem, whether or not from a collective work;
    4. a chart, graph, diagram, drawing, cartoon or picture from a book, periodical, or newspaper”
  2. Multiple copies for classroom use

    “Multiple copies (not to exceed in any event more than one copy per pupil in a course) may be made by or for the teacher giving the course for classroom use or discussion. …”

3. DCCCD Copyright Policy

If a faculty member desires to copyright material, the district has some parameters. What follows is reprinted from the DCCCD Board Policy Manual DBD (LOCAL).

“A District employee owns all rights to copyrightable or patentable work that is created by the District employee while not in the course and scope of his or her employment as illustrated by, but not limited to, the following appropriate factors:

  1. The work is the result of individual initiative.
  2. The work is not a specific assignment made within the course of employment with the District.
  3. The work involves only insignificant use of District facilities, time, or resources.

… the District owns all rights to copyrightable or patentable work that is created by a District employee in the course of the employee's employment with the District as illustrated by, but not limited to, the use of significant facilities, time, or resources of the District, including, but not limited to, released time, grant money, sabbatical leave, or other material or financial assistance by the District.” If you have any questions about copyrights, contact the District Office.

C. New Software

To install new software on a computer, contact the director of information technology, who will provide the necessary resources, including Brookhaven College's and the district's computer use policies. Do not install any new software on any computer prior to consulting the IT director.

D. Publication Procedures

All college-related publications such as brochures, posters, fliers, etc. must be approved by the college's Marketing and Public Information Office before it may be posted/distributed at the college. Classroom and instructional material is not included. See chapter 4, section C, for complete details.