The Paramedic Capstone Exam is administered during EMSP 2463. It is comprehensive to ensure competency of the entire EMS Program learning experience.
The Capstone Exam consists of two parts:
- Successful completion of the MICU internship
- A comprehensive 180-question exam.
Passing both components of the Capstone Exam is required to be eligible to receive a DSHS Course Completion Certificate and to receive a passing grade in the course.
- The MICU Internship: consists of 11 24-hour shifts on an MICU as assigned by the clinical coordinator.
- The components of the MICU internship evaluated are psychomotor skills, to include patient assessment, non-invasive as well as invasive medical procedures; interaction with patients, public and public servants; timeliness and general performance under stress and other adverse conditions; and documentation.
- Failure of any of the above components may result in failure of the MICU internship.
- MICU internship is a continual experience. Should a student fail the internship, the student will be required to re-enroll in EMSP 2463.
- Students who fail the MICU internship will receive a grade of “F” for EMSP 2463 regardless of the score on the written component of the examination.
- Students needing to re-take EMSP 2463 must do so within six months of the end of internship, or completion of an approved DSHS remedial/refresher/recertification course will be required at the student’s expense
- The written component: consists of 180 multiple-choice questions
- A minimum grade of 70 percent is required to receive a passing grade.
- The student will have three attempts at passing this written exam.
- After the initial attempt, the student will have one retest available before recertification/refresher training is required.
- After the second attempt, a DSHS-approved recertification/remedial course, at the student’s expense, must be successfully completed.
- Passing both components of the Capstone Exam is required to be eligible to receive a DSHS Course Completion Certificate and to receive a passing grade in EMSP 2463.