World Languages Division
Brookhaven College offers a wide array of languages, including English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), American Sign Language (ASL), Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean and Spanish.
English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
To non-native speakers of English, we offer three ESOL programs:
- The Intensive English Program (IEP) is designed to help international (F1 Visa) students to improve their English, often in preparation for college-level study.
- Credit ESOL Program is designed to help non-native, English-speaking U.S. citizens or permanent residents to improve their English, often in preparation for college-level study.
- Non-Credit ESOL Program is designed to help non-native, English-speaking U.S. citizens or permanent residents to acquire basic to intermediate English language skills in preparation for the workplace or the Credit ESOL Program.
If you are interested in the IEP or Credit ESOL Program, please contact the Multicultural Center
If you are interested in non-credit ESOL classes from these programs, please contact the Workforce and Continuing Education Division.
American Sign Language (ASL) and Foreign Languages
Our American Sign Language and foreign language courses can be taken for transferable college credit or for non-credit. For each of these languages, we offer the complete four-course sequence: Beginning I and II and Intermediate I and II.
Two ASL or foreign-language courses can be applied toward completion of the DCCCD Core Curriculum:
- A Beginning I or II course can be used to satisfy a Tier I Core requirement.
- An Intermediate I or II course can be used to satisfy a Tier II Core requirement.
Many of our foreign language courses may be taken online
World Languages Division Office
Bldg. L, Room L420
M. Rosario Prado
administrative assistant to the dean