Why Learn Korean?
- South Korea is a powerful economic force in the world. Speaking Korean may provide you with career and business opportunities.
- If you are the child of Korean immigrants, studying Korean will help you strengthen your ties to the language and culture of your parents.
- If you are a fan of Korean drama and K-pop, knowing some Korean will help you to understand what you are watching and listening to!
Interesting Korean Facts
- South Korea has the world's 12th largest economy in purchasing power parity.
- Seoul, the capital of South Korea, is the center of a metropolitan area of 24.5 million people, the second largest in the world.
- There are over 1.3 million people of Korean descent living in the US.
- Since the late '90s, Korean culture has become enormously popular throughout Asia. This phenomenon is referred to as "hallyu" or "the Korean wave."
Hallyu is now making its way into North America, South America, Europe and the Middle East.
Want the ultimate learning experience? Study Korean abroad and earn college credit!
KORE 1411- Beginning Korean 1
KORE 1412- Beginning Korean 2
KORE 2311- Intermediate Korean 1
KORE 2312- Intermediate Korean 2
Actual course offering vary from semester to semester,
so check eConnect
or the online course schedules for current availability.
The Core Curriculum
In order to be eligible for a bachelor's degree at a Texas public college or university, you must first complete a Core Curriculum of courses.
When completed at Brookhaven College, the Core Curriculum is guaranteed to transfer as a
block to any public university in the state of Texas.
You may apply two Korean courses toward your Core Curriculum.
• KORE 1411 or KORE 1412 can be taken to complete the "Tier 1: Speaking and Listening" course.
• KORE 2311 or KORE 2312 can be taken to complete the "Tier 2: Humanity, Creativity and the Aesthetic Experience" course.