Why Learn Portuguese?
- Brazil is rising in economic power. Speaking Portuguese, the country's native language, may provide you with great career and business opportunities.
- Knowing Portuguese will make visiting Brazil and Portugal– both popular tourist destinations– even more enjoyable.
- Portuguese is very similar to the Spanish language. Spanish-speakers should find learning Portuguese to be simple.
Want the ultimate learning experience? Study abroad in Brazil or Portugal and earn college credit!
Interesting Portuguese Facts
- Portuguese has around 240 million speakers worldwide
- Portuguese is the official language of Portugal, Brazil, Mozambique, Angola, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau and Sao Tomè, and one of the official languages of Macau, East Timor and Equatorial Guinea.
- Brazil's economy is currently the sixth largest in the world and growing very fast.
- The Portuguese and Spanish languages are very similar. They share a great number of words that are spelled identically, though they are often pronounced quite differently.
PORT 1411- Beginning Portuguese 1
PORT 1412- Beginning Portuguese 2
PORT 2311- Intermediate Portuguese 1
PORT 2312- Intermediate Portuguese 2
Actual course offering vary from semester to semester,
so check eConnect
or the online course schedules for current availability.
In order to be eligible for a bachelor's degree at a Texas public college or university, you must first complete a Core Curriculum of courses.
When completed at Brookhaven College, the Core Curriculum is guaranteed to transfer as a
block to any public university in the state of Texas.
You may apply two Portuguese courses toward your Core Curriculum.
- PORT 1411 or PORT 1412 can be taken to complete the "Tier 1: Speaking and Listening" course
- PORT 2311 or PORT 2312, can be taken to complete the "Tier 2: Humanity, Creativity and the Aesthetic Experience" course.