The mission of Brookhaven College’s Child Development Program includes the following:
- to offer the most current information in the field of early childhood education and child development to our students;
- to encourage and assist students in applying what they have learned in the classroom to their work and life situations;
- to promote beginning students’ college success;
- to help students find gainful employment after graduation and/or during their study at Brookhaven College; and
- to offer the child-care community a variety of classes, training and resources.
The Brookhaven Child Development program strives to be consistent with the missions of the college
and the Dallas County Community College District
Our program houses Teacher Preparation degrees for students seeking to gain an Associate of Arts in Teaching
(AAT) and transfer to a university to obtain a Texas Teaching Certificate. Another component of our program is a student success course, EDUC 1300 Learning Framework
, which is a foundation course required of students new to college. This unique composition of the program enriches the Child Development Department.