The Brookhaven College Career Development Center is dedicated to meeting the special needs of each student and community member whom we serve. The CDC staff members recognize those who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces that have developed a unique set of skills through extensive training and experience. We are prepared to help them convey those qualities and skills to potential future civilian employers.
We encourage former U.S. Armed Forces individuals and community members to take advantage of the following resources and benefits, which are tailored to address the employment transition from military to civilian life.
- Résumé writing advice and sample résumés showcasing military skills applicable to civilian jobs
- Web resources that address transition issues and job search assistance, including listings of open positions, benefits information and more
- Career Development Center library resources, which students formerly in the U.S. Armed Forces may check out and community members may view in the center
- Career Web and library resources addressing employment issues of individuals with disabilities
- Veteran's Day reception, co-hosted by the Office of Student Life, to honor those who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces for their service and commitment to the country
- Notices of career fairs directed toward active military personnel and those who have previously served
- Mock interviews to practice interviewing skills and hear constructive feedback
- Mentor program to connect former U.S. Armed Forces members with a civilian in the line of work in which they are interested
Personality and interest assessments are available in the Career Development Center to provide career direction suggestions. The cost of these assessments is:
- Free for former members of the U.S. Armed Forces who are students at Brookhaven College
- $25 for community members who are former members of the U.S. Armed Forces
- $80 for community members who have not served
Former members of the U.S. Armed Forces should call 972-860-4894 to make an appointment with a career advisor to guide them on their civilian career path.
For information on veteran's benefits and financial aid services at Brookhaven College, visit the Veterans Affairs Office.