You are eligible to file for Economic Hardship if you meet all of the following conditions.
- Have been enrolled as a full-time student for at least one academic year
- Have severe financial need due to circumstances that are beyond your control
- Are in good academic standing
With this authorization, a student can work off-campus in any job 20 hours per week while school is in session, and full-time (40 hours per week) during school breaks.
You may not begin work until you receive the EAD card (Employment Authorization Document) or before the beginning date listed on your EAD card.
This employment authorization is granted by USCIS in increments of one year at a time or until the program end date.
If you want to re-apply, you cannot file more than 120 days before your original employment authorization expires.
If you transfer to another school or fail to maintain your immigration status, the employment authorization is terminated.
You are required by immigration to report a change of contact information to the Multicultural Center within 10 days. You must notify us of any change in employment.
How to Apply
- Submit a complete Economic Hardship packet to the Multicultural Center
- The Multicultural Center will review your application and update your I-20 to reflect a recommendation for Economic Hardship. This may take up to 10 working days.
Submitting Your Application Packet
Submit the following materials to the Multicultural Center:
- Photocopy of the student's valid passport and I-94, front and back
- A letter from the student explaining the circumstances of the hardship
- Completed form I-765. Respond to question no. 16 by writing "(c)(3)(iii)" for Severe Economic Hardship
- Filing fee- $380 certified bank check or money order
- Two color photos with a white background taken no earlier than 30 days before submission to the USCIS. A photographer familiar with passport photos can help you. Lightly print your name, date of birth and SEVIS I.D. number, if known, on the back of each photo with a pencil.
- Copy of the previously issued EAD for renewal if applicable
Your advisor will update your I-20 with a recommendation for Economic Hardship employment. You are responsible for making two sets of copies of all documents before mailing originals to the USCIS via Certified or Registered Mail. The estimated time at USCIS is 90-120 days, although this varies.
- Send to the following address:
Regular Postal Delivery
P.O. Box 660867
Dallas, TX 75266