Brookhaven College

Home  |  Career Development Center  |  Continuing Education  |  Current Students  |  Class Schedules  |  Distance Learning = SAVE GAS!  |  eCampus  |  eConnect  |  Employees / News  |  Español  |  Future Students  |  Head Start Center  |  International Students  |  Students 50+   |  Transfer101  |  Workforce Training

A-Z Index:  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

Multicultural Center

Bldg. S, Room S136


You are eligible to file for Economic Hardship if you meet all of the following conditions.

Job offer

With this authorization, a student can work off-campus in any job 20 hours per week while school is in session, and full-time (40 hours per week) during school breaks.

Starting work

You may not begin work until you receive the EAD card (Employment Authorization Document) or before the beginning date listed on your EAD card.


This employment authorization is granted by USCIS in increments of one year at a time or until the program end date.


If you want to re-apply, you cannot file more than 120 days before your original employment authorization expires.


If you transfer to another school or fail to maintain your immigration status, the employment authorization is terminated.

Notification Responsibilities

You are required by immigration to report a change of contact information to the Multicultural Center within 10 days. You must notify us of any change in employment.

How to Apply

Submitting Your Application Packet

Submit the following materials to the Multicultural Center:

Your advisor will update your I-20 with a recommendation for Economic Hardship employment. You are responsible for making two sets of copies of all documents before mailing originals to the USCIS via Certified or Registered Mail. The estimated time at USCIS is 90-120 days, although this varies.