How to Participate
- Select a program of interest, such as Brookhaven SHAPE or Democracy in Action or choose an agency where you would like to complete your service hours at www.dcccd.edu/service-learning.
- Contact the site and speak with the site director or volunteer coordinator to find out what you need to do to begin your service hours. Some sites will ask you to complete a site application, criminal background check or orientation program, and confirm when you can begin. NOTE: Paperwork at the service site can take some additional time to process so complete this paperwork right away.
- Complete the service-learning liability release form
and turn it in to the Office of Student Life, Bldg. S, Room S201.
NOTE: Students who do not complete this step by the deadline will NOT receive service-learning credit.
- Click the NobleHour.com badge to automatically join the Brookhaven College community and begin tracking your hours online. Only your site director or the person he/she designates is permitted to sign off and verify your hours.
- Complete the service hours required by your instructor. Keep a written log of your service experience to assist you in completing reflection assignments given by your instructor.
- If required by your instructor, submit an entry for the Civic Engagement Showcase held by the Office of Service-Learning and Civic Engagement. For a list of dates, visit the important dates page.
- Submit your service hours by the due date to receive credit. Please check the important dates list on the Brookhaven College service-learning website for the official due date.
- Your completion of your service-learning requirements will be reported to your instructor so that class credit can be assessed.
Note: Liability release, NobleHour instructions and information on the Civic Engagement Showcase are also available from the Office of Student Life, Building S, Room S201.