Access the Internet free on campus
Wireless internet is accessible in all student-use areas on campus, with an emphasis placed on student common areas such as the cafeteria and library. Currently, the Brookhaven College IT Department is adding additional wireless access points to further expand wireless coverage into instructional areas.
Note: The following instructions are only for PCs. Macs simply need to turn on the AirPort and connect to the “dcccd-wireless” network.
System Requirements: Windows must be set up for automatic updates (and be up-to-date). Antivirus and anti-malware software must be installed and be up-to-date.
Follow these directions via PowerPoint presentation.
- Click the computer icon on your desktop taskbar.
- Select “view available wireless networks”
- This will take you to the “Choose a wireless network” window
- Select “dcccd-wireless” and click “connect”
- A window will appear stating “Please wait while Windows connects to the ‘dcccd-wireless’ network”
- When finished the “dcccd-wireless” network should say “Connected” in the “Choose a wireless network” window
To use the Internet:
- Open up your internet browser
- You should get a page that states:
“In order to ensure a safe operating environment for all users of the campus network, all computers are required to install and run various software to ensure a safe operating environment (anti-virus software, appropriate security patches, etc). To ensure compliance, we require that all users install a software policy key.”
See example screenshot.
- Read the linked policy and FAQ
- Select “Yes, I will install the Policy Key and accept the terms and conditions for Internet Use.”
- This will take you to a page that says “The Policy Key will download momentarily. Please follow the instructions in the installer.”
- A window will automatically pop up stating “File Download – Security Warning”
- Click “Run”
- A window may say “Internet Explorer – Security Warning … The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?”
- Click “Run”
- The Impulse InstallShield Wizard will start
- Click “Install” at the bottom of the window
- When finished, it will say “InstallShield Wizard Complete”
- Click “Finish”
You can now use DCCCD wireless!
To ensure usability:
- Check for Windows updates
- Check or install your anti-spyware software
- Free spyware software can be found at any of these sites:
To have your computer automatically connect to the network, follow these steps:
- Double-click your taskbar’s computer icon
- This should open “Wireless Network Connection Properties”
- Select “dcccd”
- Click “properties”
- On the “connection” tab, select the box that reads “Connect when the network is in range”
- Click “OK”
Now your computer will automatically connect when in range!